How to order buttons
FSF buttons are available by at least five methods:
- Order one from the Free
Software Foundation (easy).
- Buy one on the secondhand market (waste time looking).
- Steal one off a friend's chest (dangerous).
- Photocopy a friend's button (or download the source code and print the
text of the button) and use your buttonmaker to make your own button (difficult
if you don't have the proper equipment).
- Create one from thin air using your psychic powers (that's cheating!)
- "Ask me about Free Software. It's all about freedom." (2 1/4"
white round with color pictures of the Gnu head, Tux and the BSD Devil.)
- "FSF Pinball Wizard. 2002-08-14" (2 inch black on white, round, with
picture of a Gnu playing a pinball machine.)
- "FIGHT for your right to play CDs. digitalspeech.org" (smaller
1.5 inch white button with words enclosed in a blue "cartoon
- "Free Software: What good is Open Source without FREEDOM?" (black
on yellow, rectangular) [No More Left]
- "Free All E-Book Readers & Programmers. Repeal the DMCA!" (black
on bright green, round) [No More Left]
The following buttons are all round and 5-15 years old; they all
contain small or tiny text giving the copyright information and
obsolete instructions on how to anonymously ftp the designs.
- "gnuisance: GNU's Not Unix" (black on light green)
- "GNU's Not Unix: thanx GNU" (black on yellow)
- "Keep Your Lawyers Off My Computer" (black on white, round, with a
drawing of a snake labelled "Xerox". This historical button dates
from the interface patent disputes of the 1980's.)
- "thanxGNU's Not Unix" (black on white; text is formatted to look
like a gnu's horns)
- "GnURU: GNU's Not Unix" (black on yellow)
- "GeNiUs: GNU's Not Unix" (black on yellow)
- "GNU" (black on yellow; copyright and distribution info printed inside
the large letters)
- "GNU" (black on white; copyright and distribution info printed inside
the large letters) [No More Left]
- "happy gnu year!: GNU's Not Unix" (black on yellow)
- "GNUer: GNU's Not Unix" (black on light blue) [No More Left]
- "GNU: GNU's Not Unix" (black on white; "GNU's Not Unix" quite
- "GNU¢: GNU's Not Unix" (black on light blue)
- "GNU's Not Unix: GNUist" (black on light green; "GNU's Not Unix" small, "GNUist" large)
Comments on these web pages to
send other questions to
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is
permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.
Last modified: Mon Jun 21 14:15:57 EDT 2004